Senior/Principal Associate Scientist, Protein Sciences
Compass Therapeutics, Inc. is a clinical-stage, oncology-focused biopharmaceutical company developing proprietary antibody-based therapeutics to treat multiple human diseases. Compass’ scientific focus is on the relationship between angiogenesis, the immune system and tumor growth. The company pipeline of novel product candidates is designed to target multiple critical biological pathways required for an effective anti-tumor response. These include modulation of the microvasculature via angiogenesis-targeted agents, induction of a potent immune response via activators on effector cells in the tumor microenvironment, and alleviation of immunosuppressive mechanisms used by tumors to evade immune surveillance. Compass plans to advance its product candidates through clinical development as both standalone therapies and in combination with proprietary pipeline antibodies based on supportive clinical and nonclinical data. The company was founded in 2014 and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. For more information, visit www.compasstherapeutics.com.
Our Protein Sciences & Analytics team is seeking a highly motivated and hands-on Senior or Principal Associate Scientist. The ideal candidate will have a proven track-record in antibody engineering and production who desires to be part of an energetic, fast-paced and collaborative team, where there is opportunity for career growth.
- Design, construct, and prepare (miniprep, maxiprep, megaprep, gigaprep) mammalian expression vectors
- Express, purify, and characterize recombinant proteins, including antibodies and antibody variants to support lead candidate identification
- Optimize and troubleshoot production of non-routine antibody variants and fusion proteins
- Communicate progress in team and departmental settings and maintain accurate electronic lab records (ELN)
- Development of low-touch, semi-automated purification processes and update SOPs
- Support sample management to maintain and track internal protein supplies (LIMS)
- Collaborate with R&D team members to support research activities and company goals
- B.S. with a minimum of 5+ years, or M.S. with 2+ years relevant scientific experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of molecular biology and vector engineering
- Expertise in recombinant protein production and characterization (HPLC-SEC, DLS, SDS-PAGE, Western blot, ELISA, etc.), including FPLC programming, method development and optimization (AKTA, Unicorn)
- A track record of protein production from mammalian cell culture at various workflow scales, from plate-based through to bioreactors
- Experience with multiple protein purification methodologies, including but not limited to affinity capture (Protein-A, IMAC), ion-exchange, hydrophobic interaction, size-exclusion, etc.
- Experience with antibody and non-antibody transient mammalian cell expression techniques
- Previous experience maintaining reagent stocks, including detailed and accurate record keeping with a LIMS or similar platform
- Strong communication and creative problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated, comfortable being both an individual contributor and team player
- Ability to work flexibly and balance multiple project objectives in a fast-paced, cross-functional work environment
At Compass Therapeutics, we provide employees with an inclusive offering of benefits and a competitive compensation package. We offer our employees competitive salaries, discretionary bonuses and meaningful equity participation. Our benefits support the health and wellness of our employees; from medical, dental and vision benefits to health reimbursement arrangement, flexible spending accounts, sponsored gym membership, and an employee assistance program. We also provide company matched 401(k) and Roth 401(k) programs and other tools for financial wellness. Additional benefits include commuter reimbursement, subsidized parking, and substantial paid time off including a winter shut-down week.
We believe in growing and developing our team, and therefore, we invest in the development of strong values and culture. We are invested in employee success and provide tuition reimbursement, employee recognition programs and referral programs, training opportunities and maintain a comprehensive Performance Management cycle. While building a strong foundation, Compass culture can be seen every day in the form of curiosity, teamwork, passion, and cross functional collaboration.